Shabana Azmi is best known for her body of work in the Bollywood industry and she is highly respected for the kind of talent she has. Apart from her being an actress, she is also known for her philanthropic qualities with a strong voice. She is a social activist who supports causes like child survival and fighting AIDS.
Today, by celebrating birthday, of this enormous and versatile actress of Bollywood, we will give you some insights which are far lesser known:
1. Not many is aware but the actress won her first National Award for her debut film itself. That explains her talent and her command over the craft. She made debut with Shyam Benegal’s movie ‘Ankur’. The film went on to win three National Awards.
2. During an interview while promoting ‘Neerja’, the exceptional actress revealed who inspired her to become an actress. It is none Jaya Bhaduri (Bachchan) perform. The actress said, "Seeing Jaya Bhaduri act in Suman, a film made by the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), drew me to the institute in Pune."
3. While creating one of the most candid and beautiful film in the Bollywood’s history, ‘Masoom’, the actress and Shekhar Kapur, the director fell in love. The two were in a relationship for over seven years but eventually parted ways. Though both continue to be friends.
4. As like the rest of India, Shabana Azmi too was smitten by Shashi Kapoor. Shabana was Prithviraj Kapoor's neighbour, and she got a picture autographed by the Shashi Kapoor everytime she visited his father. Shashi Kapoor and Azmi later sared screen space in seven films including Fakira.
5. The actress has won three National Awards in a row for three years for Arth, Khandhar and Paar respectively.
Here’s wishing the nuanced and most unconventionally gorgeous actress, Shabana Azmi, best wishes on her birthday.
For more interesting stories, download the Lopscoop application from Google play store and earn extra money by sharing it on social media.